Stories of the Elders

Today I spent the afternoon with elders riding the bush roads of Atikameksheng Anishnawbek. They talked about their memories of how the road was only a trail when they lived there as young children. They pointed out different berry picking spots and shared their stories on the land. 
Originally our community was located on the south west side on Lake panache. An elder in their 70s said they were asked to move due to logging when they were seven years old. They had to walk as there was no vehicles in the community. They talk about the long distances they would walk to get to school and to move and rebuild. She said, " you didn't live how I lived." I was humbled and it was a big igniter to my fire to keep going on this journey. 

I remember grandma in her 80s now telling me the stories of her memories which were the same. Being displaced and Indian agents coming in and making them go to schools to become Catholic and remove their language and culture. 

Another elder in her 80s talked about being born on our traditional lands and that it was farming that her family did. She recalls farming potatoes and corn mostly, and having lots of fruits and medicines around growing wild. She remembers being displaced due to logging. But she would picnic there often as an adult with her family. Her son now lives off grid on the same lake not far from where she was born. Unfortunately the water is not safe to drink or use due to long lake gold mine which left toxic tailings mess back in 1930 when it closed down.  

It was very sad to hear the loss they all suffered at young ages. It made me feel a passion to continue advocating, defending our land and protecting the waters. 

This has helped my confidence in reclaiming culture and the motivation to keep on this track of future revitalization and restoring our knowledge in the youth. 

The waves of emotion overcome my mind but my body and soul feel the love of the land. Today was a beautiful discovery and time together was special. 

I will continue to learn our history and sit with the elders as it is the only way to connect fully to this land I call home. 

I protect the water and continue to advocate for the government to clean the tailings and consult with us in this project. It requires delicate studies around heritage and preserving history of the people of this traditional territory. 

I will continue to share the stories of where we come from which keep the culture and language as part of this relationship with land and water. 

The arts have been my release and expression to healing self and community.

Defend the sacred, 

Manidoo Bineshiinh 💝

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts